1. Malvern House is No 41 Mapperley Road, now a GP practice but built for Thomas Butler Cutts, a lace manufacturer in 1874. It is a Gothic revival Grade II listed stone building. Except for the conservatory all the original Gothic buildings have remained intact and the original wall and gate piers, also listed, still encompass the estate.
2. Just as reminder of critical dates in the development of this area: After the 1845 Enclosure Act Mapperley Road was set out 1846-48. In the gradual release of land from 1851 for development. Edwin Patchitt, the clerk to the Enclosure Commissioners, bought the triangle of land between,Mapperley Road, Mansfield Road and Redcliffe Road. He renovated and extended the farm house that became known as Forest House and created Patchitt’s Park, known as Victoria Park. In the 1860s/1870s he sold off plots of the park including the Malvern House estate of 14 acres which extended down the cliff to Redcliffe Road.
3. The buyer, TB Cutts, a wealthy Nottingham lacemaker, who had premises on North Sherwood Street, must have been very affluent as he lavished £80,000 on the estate of gardens, meadows and a fine adjoining conservatory. The architect was probably Henry Sulley (Sully) (1845- 1940)
4. This view is from the reservoir opposite looking down on MH.
5. MH is not particularly large but it has grand features. A Gothic tower rises four storeys above the front door, with little gargoyles springing out below its steeply-pitched roof.
6. A statue of Old Father Time between the first floor windows, above the monograph of TB Cutts. Internally, plaster covings, decorated fireplaces and parquetry floors are of fine Victorian craftsmanship.
7. French chateau style tower
8. The Gothic lodge that was up for sale in 2010 and next servants houses, and linked stables– timbered buildings, definitely Sulley.
10. The gate piers listed. Details of Turner and Allen lampbase
11. Lodge on Redcliffe Road
12. Joseph Burton the grocer moved to MH in 1893 from 10 Burns Street, confirming that he had definitely arrived. His near neighbours then included Frank Bowden, owner of the Raleigh Cycle Co. and Watson Fothergill. By the time of his death in 1916 at the age of 85 Joseph had created a growing business empire. MH remained in private hands until the war when 40 officers were billeted there. Much of the estate sold off, MH was used as offices for the Coal Board. The gardens were tarmaced over and a squat flat office block built in 1960s on the foundations of the original conservatory. Now WEA.