Mansfield Road /Mapperley Road Nottingham
Talk will cover:
Background to the building of St Andrew’s
Architecture and building
Buildings associated with St Andrew’s
The site of St Andrew’s (built 1869-1871) was part of a field forming the south west corner of Victoria Park (popularly known as Patchitt’s Park), bounded on the north and east by Victoria Park and on the south by Mapperley Road and on the west by Mansfield Road. A map of 1674 in Ogilvie’s Book of Roads shows the site of the gallows on this corner, although it later moved to the site of what became the Church Cemetery lodge. The gallows was demolished in 1827. On the Enclosure Awards map of 1865 showing the allocation of plots following the Enclosure Act of 1845, the site of St Andrew’s was acquired by a William Adcock, a joiner and keeper of a beer house in St James Street (show map) but by 1853 Edwin Patchitt, clerk to the county court and Inclosure Commissioners, was resident in Forest House and during the course of the decade he consolidated his estate buying up allotments from the original purchasers so that he owned the whole triangle of land between Mansfield Road, Mapperley Road and Red Lane (Redcliffe Road) which became known as Patchitt’s Park.
Salmon’s map of 1861 shows houses along the south side of Mapperley Road and along Villa Road but the north side belonging to Patchitt was still undeveloped.
This is a view of St Andrew’s from the the Church Cemetery designed by Edwin Patchitt in 1856. The 19th century witnessed an unparalleled period of Church building. By 1858 over 3000 new churches had been built in 50 years during which time the population of England had doubled. The population of Nottingham had grown from about 11,000 in 1750 to around 50,000 by 1831. Much of this growth was a result of migration as individuals and families travelled to Nottingham in search of work in the expanding textile trades. Churches, chapels and schools were built in profusion, particularly after the Enclosure Act made available suitable plots of land. The nonconformists reacted quickly to the opportunities offered by industrialization, but it was the evangelical revival which inspired the Church of England to start building churches in new working class areas. This led to the creation of new parishes (St Paul’s in 1839, Holy Trinity in 1842, St Mark’s in 1855, St Matthew’s in 1856, St Luke’s in 1863, All Saints in 1864 and St Ann’s in 1865). The rising tide of Dissent was exemplified by the first Census of religious worship in 1851 which showed only 21% of the population attended Anglican churches and stimulated a major church, chapel and school building programme in the second half of the nineteenth century. Funds for the new churches were raised from industrial magnates, mill owners and other benefactors. Just a few of the new churches built at this time.
1838 Wesley Chapel Broad Street (1600 costing £11,000)
1844 Roman Catholic church on Derby Road (Pugin)
1854 Wesleyan Reform Chapel on Shakespeare Street (now the synagogue)
1855 Adams warehouse with its own chapel on Stoney Street ( T.C.Hine)
1865 Church of St Ann on St Ann’s Well Road, at bottom of Robin Hood Chase with seating for1,200 for the newly created parish of St Ann with large Day and Sunday school. See map of 1865 Parish Boundaries.
The idea of building a new church in this corner of St Ann’s parish in the Clay Field came from Rev. H. J. Tebbutt, Vicar of St Ann’s, and previously curate at St Mary’s Church in the Lace Market. At the public luncheon following the consecration of St Andrew’s on 9th October 1871, the Rev.Tebbutt spoke of his reasons for suggesting the new church, as recorded by the Nottingham Daily Guardian the next day, “He had a parish two miles long and one wide in which there had been no provision for the moral welfare of the people except by the Unitarian body. He had first thought of building an iron church to meet the need (like the iron Congregational Church opened in 1867 in Addison Street) as he was a poor man but having discussed his idea with Adams, the lace manufacturer, the latter promised to give £500 towards the building of a new stone church on condition that a new and independent parish was created.” Rev.Tebbutt also received a promise of considerable financial support from William Windley, silk manufacturer and sponsor of All Saints Church built in 1864. A Building Committee was formed to raise funds for St Andrew’s in 1867. Subscription lists were opened and an appeal generously responded to but not generously enough to meet the eventual cost. The estimated cost was £5,680 but the building actually cost £7,439.
On 12th August 1868 the site 1297 square yards was conveyed for £518. 16s to the Ecclesiastical Commissioners from Thomas Simpson, Thomas Underwood, Joseph White and Edwin Patchitt.
On 22nd September 1869 a public meeting was held to raise funds under the presidency of the Bishop of Lincoln (Southwell Diocese was not created until 1883) but by its consecration in October 1871, £1000 was still needed to complete the building.
The Parish of St Andrew separated from that of St Ann on December 22nd 1871 when the St Andrew’s Chapelry was gazetted. Its triangular boundaries ran from the corner of Woodborough Road and Mansfield Road in the south to the junction of Red Lane and Woodborough Road in the north east and the junction of Mansfield Road and Red Lane in the north.
The competition for the design of the church was won by William Knight of Moothall Chambers. Dennett and Co., who had built All Saints Church designed by T.C. Hine, were employed as builders.
Knight’s design was early Gothic, 13th century with some Romanesque detail in the crossing tower to hold eight bells and a tall elegant central spire with pinnacles rising 150 feet. The cruciform design had very low aisles and a tall clerestory (an upper storey with its own row of windows) and chancel chapels. It was made of Bulwell stone with wrought Ancaster stone dressings for clerestoried nave, aisles, transepts, chancel and porches. Due to lack of money it was necessary to fill in the tower supports with rubble, the original elegant tower was foreshortened and just one bell was hung behind the altar weighing weight 1,200lbs made by Mears and Stainbank of Whitechapel.
The consecration ceremony took place at 11am on Monday 9th October 1871 conducted by the Bishop Suffragan , Dr. H. Mackenzie. There was an unusually large attendance by clergy as the consecration coincided with the tenth annual Congress of the Established Church so it was attended by members of the Evangelical Alliance and The Church Missionary Society. The Bishop preached from a text in Zachariah applauding the Jews for the rebuilding of the Jewish temple (perhaps a veiled hint to encourage the congregation to give generously to the collection as £1000 was still needed to complete the new church – the collection actually raised only £99!)). In the afternoon of the consecration, there was a public luncheon at The George Hotel. Mr William Windley proposed a toast to the Bishop and clergy. The Bishop in his speech singled out Mr Windley for his efforts and commented on “the improvement in the hearts of men in Nottingham since his first visit forty years before including the daily service in the Adams warehouse where 300 gathered every morning before their daily work. Mr Liberty proposed a toast to the Builders of St Andrew’s.
In 1883/3 a bay was built out from the main wall to Mansfield Road designed by S.R. Stevenson costing £1000 including an additional north west porch.
The church had 850 seats, the majority assigned for renting as a way of increasing the stipend of the vicar. If all were rented they could raise £234 p.a. The transepts originally contained seats for children facing the chancel.
The east window is of the Crucifixion with saints on either side of Christ. Above is a small rose window of the Lamb of God surrounded by cherubim.
This detail is from the east window showing St Mary and St John.
The nave was flanked by four bays on each side with clerestoried windows of plain leaded glass above.
Two vestries were provided, one on each side of the chancel. The choir vestry (now unused) was originally intended as the organ chamber before it was moved up to the organ loft in the South Transept in 1876. In 1970 this oak screen was placed at the east end of the south aisle to create another vestry in the south transept.
The alabaster reredos above the altar was donated in 1918 by Mr and Mrs John Dane Player as a thank offering for a happy wedded life extending over 25 years together with marble flooring in the chancel and oak panelling and carving and clergy stalls. The panels of the reredos by Ernest Heazell portray The Lord in Glory, The Nativity, The Baptism, Gethsemane, on the Way to Emmaus and The Resurrection.
Fine oak choir stalls, and detail of angel on clergy stall – and a little of the marble floor.
The beautiful Rose west window (1871) was created by Heaton, Butler and Bayne.
This shows the west end of the church with the extension onto Mansfield Road.
1891 window in memory of William Ford at the west end of the south aisle.
The windows along the aisles show biblical figures. This one in the south aisle is of David.
The pulpit was the gift of the architect’s family, the Knights. It is made of Caen stone, circular and intricately carved and worked with recessed moulded and traceried niches in the upper half filled with diapered (surface decoration of diamond shaped patterns) panels. The spandrels (triangular areas) between the arched heads are elaborately carved and the whole raised on an edifice of Mansfield stone columns with carved capitals.
The beautiful font, designed by William Knight, was the gift of W.F. Fox. It has a Mansfield stone shaft and columns in Caen stone.
The organ from St Mary’s Church was moved to St Andrew’s in 1871. It dates from 1776, the work of the famous organ maker, John Snetzler of Bavaria, who had settled in England in 1740. It had cost St Mary’s £800 but was bought by St Andrew’s for £150 and rebuilt as a two manual and pedal organ in the vestry. In 1876 it was moved to the Organ loft and in 1878 rebuilt by Bishop and Co., a Choir manual being added. In 1898 is was restored by Conacher of Huddersfield and pneumatic action installed for £730. In 1914-26 Lloyd and Co. cleaned it, added new stops to the Choir manual and added the Solo manual. The old hand blown mechanism was replaced by electric motors. In 1934, the Tuba Magna, the 4th manual was added by Roger Yates.
In the 1940s and 50s, the choir of St Andrew’s became well-known under a gifted choir master and services from St Andrew’s were broadcast in Britain and overseas.
The organ console showing four manuals.
In 1931 a chapel was created in the north transept.
In 1984 the choir was replaced by a music group.
Marble flooring in the chancel was donated by Mr and Mrs John Player in 1918.
In the chapel in the north transept, there are two memorials to young men who died in the 1914-1918 War. One given by Mr and Mrs Mellers in memory of their only son, George Henry Reginald Mellers, a captain in the 7th Robin Hood Battalion of the Sherwood Foresters (Nottinghamshire and Derbyshire Regiment), who fell in Flanders on 13th October 1915.
The Mellers also gave this beautiful Rood Screen which originally separated the Choir from the Nave in 1918, but was moved to its present position to create the chapel in the north transept in 1931.
Rood Screen now dividing the north transept from the choir.
In the chapel in the north transept, there is also a memorial to the 187 parishioners who died in the 1914-1918 War including one woman, probably serving as a nurse. Officers and volunteers could choose their regiment so unlike non-commissioned conscripts did not necessarily serve with the Robin Hood Sherwood Foresters.
Land for the St Andrew’s Parsonage was conveyed in 1870-72. The Rev. Tebbutt was not able to move in until after the consecration. Tarbottom’s map of 1877 shows Chestnut Grove with houses built on it.
In January 1872, Boys, Girls and Infants Schools were opened in Great Alfred Street North.
In 1887 a Mission Room was built in Bullivant Street.
In November 1913, a Church Institute was built in Great Alfred Street North which became the meeting house for the Boys Brigade. It was sponsored by John Dane Player, Joshua George Mellors, lace manufacturer and Thomas Galland Mellors, chartered accountant.
In 1938 the current Church Hall was built. Officers were billetted there before World War 2.
In 1947 No 4 Mapperley Road was bought as a residence for the curate of St Andrew’s. It was sold to Howitt at St Andrew’s House in 1954 for £1750.
A Brief History of St Andrew’s Parish and Church 1871-1921 by J Potter Briscoe. A Jubilee souvenir.
Scrapbook 125th anniversary of the consecration of St Andrew’s 9th October 1996
St Andrew’s Review October 1971 Centenary Number “St Andrew’s, the First Hundred Years 1871-1971”
Interview with Richard Clark, Vicar of St Andrew’s